On Laura Mandell’s “Imagining Interiority”
1. What is
“remediation”? What role does that term play in Mandell’s argument?
2. What is the second paragraph (which begins “”current
criticism seems . . .”) on page 219 doing? What’s noteworthy about how that paragraph
3. What is a “lexical image” (220)? What is “catachresis”
4. How does the photograph differ from painting in terms of
who it orients subjectivity?
5. What is Mnadell’s claim about Blake’s poem “London”?
On Saree Makdisi’s Fierce Rushing
1. What types of
history does Makdisi use to frame his discussion of America, a poem by Blake that we did not read?
2. What were the prevailing academic understandings of the
1790s? How does Makdisi disrupt this?
3. What does Makdisi’s reading of “the fierce rushing” scene
help us understand about Blake’s political thought?
4. In what ways is Makdisi’s essay a new historicist
On Zapruder’s Why Poetry
1. What is the
difference between reading poetry for its devices and reading it for its
2. How does poetry defamiliarize language, the reader, and
our experience of time?
3. What do the line
break and rhyme accomplish for a poem?
4. What is metaphor?
What does it help a poem accomplish?
5. How is a symbol
different from a metaphor?